Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

match answers of the same respondent in 2 different surveys

I want to ask people to fill in 2 surveys with 2 weeks in between to see whether preferences change over time. I want to compare the answers of the 2 surveys, but in order to do that I need that every respondent has the same ID in both surveys. Maybe I can generate a random number in the first survey which every respondent has to remember and fill in in the second survey.

Any ideas how to do that?

I do not have any experience with lighthouse studio yet.
asked Apr 2 by anonymous

1 Answer

0 votes
The best option may depend on where these respondents are coming from and what means you have to contact them.

If you already have a list of email addresses or other contact points for each respondent, you may be able to send each respondent a slightly different URL with a code unique to that respondent.  To do this, you would add the same list of passwords to both surveys, then make sure each respondent gets a different password.

If you are unable to send unique links to each respondent, then your idea of creating a code in the first survey and then reading it back in the second survey sounds like a fine option.  One way to implement this would be to create a list in the first survey, with at least one unique item for each respondent that may end up taking your survey.  At the end of the first survey, you can print out the code for the respective respondent with Sawtooth Script like this:

[% ListLabel(list1, RespNum()) %]

"list1" being the name of the list.  Then you can add a password to the second survey and define its accepted values as the contents.  Now respondents can only get into the second survey once they've put in the code they got from the first survey.
answered Apr 2 by Zachary Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (120,175 points)