Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

How to make a constructed list off of another constructed list?

I'm tyring to make constructed lists that are based on other constructed lists. For example:

Q1. Which of these stores have you heard of?
{Predefined All brands list}

Q2. At which of these stores have you considered shopping?
{Constructed list of brands selected in Q1}

Q3. At which of these stores have you actually shopped?
{Constructed list of brands selected in Q2}

Since Q2 uses a constructed list, its parent list is "All brands." But when I try to create the Q3 constructed list with parent list "All brands" AND the AIC (Q2), it tells me that my lists do not have the same parent.

I'm certain there is a solution to this - I just don't know what it is. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
asked Aug 15, 2012 by anonymous
Sorry. Forgot to specify that I am working with v8.
I'm assuming in each of these questions you may have a subtle difference such as the use of generic codes like "DK" or "None" or "Other"? If you are using a code in one question but not the others, the solution is simple. Make one parent list that includes all codes. For each question display only the necessary codes. The parent list MUST be the same for all questions. Use constructed list functions to remove any unnecessary codes.

1 Answer

0 votes
If both lists use the same parent, then this should work.  Is it a normal select question, or is it a grid question?  If a grid, what are the settings (direction, radio buttons versus checkboxes, etc.).
answered Aug 15, 2012 by Brian McEwan Gold Sawtooth Software, Inc. (37,610 points)