Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Parameters of RFC function used in Excel Plug-in

Hi

I downloaded and installed the Excel RFC plug-in and am trying to build an Excel RFC simulator for my conjoint study taking help from the sample Excel simulator provided by Sawtooth.  However, the parameters going into the RFC function are a little unclear to me.  Even after taking reference from the sample simulator, I am still not able to understand some of the parameters.
 Could you please explain what each parameter is (definition and format) so I can make the RFC function work correctly?

Thank you in advance,

Kind Regards
Kshitij
asked Oct 11, 2018 by kshitijkumarsingh (160 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
I apologize, but the Excel RFC Plugin is designed for use with simulators exported from the Choice Simulator.  Because of the complexity we do not provide support for creating simulators with the plugin on your own.
answered Oct 11, 2018 by Walter Williams Gold Sawtooth Software, Inc. (17,705 points)
edited Oct 11, 2018 by Walter Williams
Hi Walter

My team already had a discussion with Cameron Halversen regarding this who suggested it was okay to use RFC plug in for our own simulators.  If you provide me your email I can forward you the conversation chain.
I realize my previous response was not clear, and I have edited it.  According to the support staff, they previously stated that we did not provide support in this case.
Ok, makes sense.  Can I ask you something else?  I am trying to compare the Excel simulator exported from Choice Simulator with the SMRT simulations, but they don't match.  The SMRT simulations show a few parameters (Total Sampling Iterations, Product Variability Multiplier, Attribute Variability Multiplier) which are not present in the Choice Simulator.  Could you please tell me what settings would I have to put in SMRT to match the RFC simulations between SMRT and Choice Simulator exported Excel simulator?
Thank you for your time.
That information is found on the Simulation Settings tab in the Choice Simulator output.

The implementation of RFC in the Choice Simulator has algorithmic improvements over the one used in SMRT.  Because of that, there is no way to exactly replicate the results from SMRT.