Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Skip logic for grid question

I have a grid question (S5) where each row has been changed from a select question type to a numeric question type. There are 4 rows, each asking the respondent to enter a number.

If the respondent enters a number less than 25 for row 2, I want them to be terminated.

The skip logic I tried is "S5_r2<25" which does not work.

The error message that pops up says "The binary operator '<' requires the same type on both the left and right sides. You have a Numeric on the left side and a String on the right"

How do I make this work?
asked Sep 14, 2018 by kaitlana (180 points)

1 Answer

+1 vote
The cause of the problem has to do with how grid variables are named.  For a radio button grid, we use variable names like "S5_r1" or "S5_c2" because that is all that is required to identify which part of the grid question we're talking about.  But for all other types of grid questions, that naming convention doesn't hold up.  For a numeric grid question, does "S5_r1" refer to the input on the first row and first column or the input on the first row and second column?  This is why the software requires that non-radio type grids be defined with their row number and column number, even in the case where the grid only has one row / one column.

S5_r2_c1 < 25
answered Sep 14, 2018 by Zachary Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (105,875 points)