Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Discrete Simulator in Excel

Can anyone point to a how-to on creating a simulator to give to my stakeholders using Excel? I'd like to make something that they cannot break and don't need to install new software to use.
asked Jun 25, 2018 by Corey1975 Bronze (740 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
If you build a simulator in Lighthouse Studio you can export that simulator into Excel - that's a pretty painless way to do it.  

Alternatively you can do the math to build an Excel simulator yourself, but unless you do a lot of them, this is a good bit more time consuming.  I found this presentation online and it does a good job of describing the math you'll need:  https://www.slideshare.net/MinhaHwang/conjoint-analysis-part-33-market-simulator
answered Jun 25, 2018 by Keith Chrzan Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (69,025 points)
edited Jun 25, 2018 by Keith Chrzan
I have HB estimator and an older version of SSI-Web. I'll have the part-worth utilities. It's less about the math and more about the programming/design of the simulator itself.
I understand but I don't know if a "how-to" resource that does much more than illustrate the math.  Bringing that math to life is done different ways by different Excel users - it's a style thing more than a right or wrong thing as long as long as the math is correct.