Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Repeat Skipped Question With New Response List

I need to ask Q1 with the list of preferred responses, radio buttons, not required.  If respondent skips question I want to ask question again, but this time with added responses, such as "Don't know", "Not sure".

I'm struggling with finding a way to do this in one question, rather than programming two questions.  Q1 with the list of preferred responses, Q1SKIP with the original list plus added responses (don't know/unsure), and skip logic to pre-skip Q1SKIP if there was a response recorded for Q1.

This method has obviously doubled the number of questions in my study, and I am convinced there must be a more elegant way to program this, keeping all data for the question in one question.  The method I currently have used creates two data fields in the data file for the same question, which creates a lot more work in the data analysis/tables work after data is collected.

Any thoughts?  Any constructed list logic that I can think of is based on Q1<1, but then that means the respondent would see the added responses upon initial viewing of Q1.  I'm having a mental block on how to work around this.
asked May 19, 2018 by Amber Joy (175 points)

1 Answer

0 votes

Best answer
Try adding this to your questions:

<style>
#[% QuestionName() %]_div .response_row:nth-last-child(1),
#[% QuestionName() %]_div .response_row:nth-last-child(2) {
    display: none;
}
</style>

<script>
$(window).on('load', function(){
    var clone = $('#next_button').clone();
    $(clone).attr('id', 'next_clone');
    $('#next_button').hide();
    $('#next_button').after($(clone));

$(clone).click(function(){
        if (SSI_GetValue('[% QuestionName() %]')) {
            SSI_SubmitMe();
        }
        else {
            $('#[% QuestionName() %]_div .response_row').show();
            $(clone).hide();
            $('#next_button').show();
        }
    });
})
</script>

This CSS hides the last two response options.  It can be modified to change the number of response options that ought to be hidden.
answered May 21, 2018 by Zachary Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (110,850 points)
selected May 21, 2018 by Amber Joy
Thank you, Zachary!  I won't be able to test this today, but your work is always stellar, so I'm sure it will be perfect.