Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Changing Attribute level from discrete to continuous in CBC-HB estimation

Dear everyone,

I have another question related to CBC-HB market simulation.
In the choice experiment, I have price levels as nominal in the CBC design and also has prohibitions on combinations.

Now, in Market Simulator, there are options to do the following:

1. Change the discrete values to continuous
2. Remove prohibitions in "Prohibition Enforcement Behaviour"
   - but is this possible to combine all options in the simulator to see the results?

My second set of questions are the following:

- if we change the discrete price value to continuous, do we need to use the "Linear" HB coefficient values or just "Part-worth" values which are created in the analysis manager of Sawtooth?

- If the price is changed to "Linear/continuous", can we check for a new hypothesized price point ? If yes, how? Is it in the "sensitivity analysis" section? I tried but the software didnt allow me to create this by highlighting that the price point didnt exist.

-
asked Apr 11, 2018 by sacharya (490 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
In the market simulator, changing the attribute to be treated as continuous means that it will open a dialog where you can assign certain values to be associated with your levels.  For example, level 1 might correspond to "75" and level 2 to "85".  Now, when you specify products in the market simulator, rather than typing level "1", you can specify a 75.  This makes it easier to specify products in the simulator, and also makes it easier to have the simulator interpolate between levels, such as specifying a product with 77.8 quantity on that attribute.  

You do NOT have to have estimated the attribute earlier as a "linear" term to have the simulator do interpolations between levels.  It will use linear interpolation between discrete part-worth utility values.
answered Apr 11, 2018 by Bryan Orme Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (160,785 points)