Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Which kind of Range Behavior should I choose?

At the simulator, I selected the First Choice Button for the simulation method, but their is still another button "Range behavior", which kind of range behavior should I take?
related to an answer for: Calculating Hit Rate Using SSI Simulator
asked Apr 11, 2018 by anonymous

1 Answer

0 votes
Range behavior tells the software what to do if it finds a range specification for levels for an attribute for a product specification.  Most of the time, people using the simulator just specify specific attribute levels that describe the product to be simulated.

But, there is a more advanced way to use the simulator, if you want.  For example, let's say for a single product in your market scenario, for the attribute "Price," that you specify a range of 100-150.  That is a range of price to examine over multiple simulations.  In that case, the software needs to know what "Range Behavior" to apply when it finds a range of levels rather than a discrete level definition.  Those simulations can be done just by trying each price between 100 and 150 and reporting the results (sensitivity analysis) or by conducting a search across prices 100 to 150 to maximize some goal you have specified (optimization search).

My guess is you have not specified a range for any of your product specifications (for example, the attribute price has a specific level to use rather than a range) and in that case, it is irrelevant what you set the range behavior to be.
answered Apr 11, 2018 by Bryan Orme Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (164,515 points)