Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Extending numeric question range

Thanks but I would prefer to use a numeric question if possible given the numeric question checks for a valid response already.

It might be a simple matter of changing some CSS script?
related to an answer for: Extending numeric question range
asked Jul 11, 2012 by Paul Moon Platinum (66,185 points)
retagged Sep 13, 2012 by Walter Williams

2 Answers

+1 vote
Paul, I checked on this issue with tech support not too long ago and currently they said the numeric field is capped at 9 digits but they would look into expanding it for future updates possibly.  Your only solution will probably be to use the text field and javascript to verify only numbers are being used.
answered Jul 11, 2012 by Jay Rutherford Gold (27,125 points)
+1 vote
Jay is correct, the "Study Verify" checks to make sure the number is not larger than 9 9's.  There is a way to bypass that check.  Put the number in SSI Script -- for instance, for the maximum value enter [%999999999999%] to allow 12 digits.  The verifier won't make the check if it encounters SSI Script.  

However, let me add a HUGE WARNING and disclaimer:  There is a reason for the built-in limit of 9 digits.  The system isn't designed to handle extremely large numbers with precision.  When I tested 16 digits, it was rounding both the answer I typed in as a respondent and the range that was displayed in the error message when I typed in more than 16 digits.  Additionally, during export there will likely be additional rounding or number overflow issues.  Numbers from -2,147,483,648 to 2,147,483,647 should be fine (the range of an integer type), but outside of this range you'll run into trouble.  If you choose to bypass the built-in checks, be sure to test thoroughly both data collection and export / analysis.  Additionally, you may see different behavior between version 7 and version 8.

The safe way to store an extremely large number is to store it as text.
answered Jul 12, 2012 by Gary Baker Silver Sawtooth Software, Inc. (7,365 points)
Hello, I used  [%99999999999%] tin numeric question to allow 11 digit but when I exported data to SPSS I fased an eror  messge so could you help me to export data to SPSS