Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Constructed List: Is it possible to have an AIC of two questions?

Is it possible to have an AIC of two questions? ie AIC(QuestionA, QuestionB) to create a list with the selected choices from both of these questions. If so, what should the parent list be? When I try to create a constructed list in this way it tells me the function AIC 'contains an invalid number of arguments, or an argument with an incorrect type.
asked Jul 9, 2012 by anonymous
retagged Sep 13, 2012 by Walter Williams

1 Answer

+1 vote
A constructed list can only be built using members from a shared parent list.  So, if QuestionA and QuestionB don't use the same list, then I would create one Parent List that contains members you are using in both questions.  Then you can use constructed lists in each of those two questions that contain only the list items you want in each question.  Once that is done you will be able to use that parent list and use an AIC instruction from each question.
answered Jul 9, 2012 by Jay Rutherford Gold (26,135 points)
Your usage of AIC is wrong by the way, use:
AIC(QuestionA)
AIC(QuestionB)
Jay is correct in that you need to combine the 2 parent lists to form 1 parent list, You will need to suppress the parent 2 codes where the parent 1 list was being used. You will need to suppress the parent 1 codes where the parent 2 list was being used. Just use constructed lists using ADD commands.