Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Skip logic - can't get the script right!

I have a gender question in a survey (let's call it Q1) for which the answer is Male, Female or Prefer not to say. Further down, say after Q4, I want the respondents to fill in a grid, The grid is slightly different depending on how they answered Q1, so a different version for Male, Female and Prefer not to say. So if they answered Male, I need them to go from Q4 to Q5 then Q8 and onward from there. If they are female I need them to go from Q4 to Q6 then Q8 and onward from there. If they said 'Prefer not to say', I need them to go from Q4 to Q7 then on to Q8 and onward from there.

I have tried all types of skip logic script that I can deduce from the guidance, inserted at Qs5, 6 and 7 but they are rejected every time, or cut out all the grid options completely, jumping straight from Q4 to Q8.

Can anyone help? Am under a  bit of time pressure!
asked Feb 21 by Amy
What skip logic have you used?

It sounds like Q4 needs a skip to Q5 if "Q1 = 1", a skip to Q6 if "Q1 = 2", and a skip to Q7 if "Q1 = 3".  Then Q5, Q6, and Q7 should always skip to Q8.
Thanks - I think I am doing that

Under Q5 i tried pre-skip
Q1 = 2, skip to Q6
Q1 = 3, skip to Q7

Under Q6 I tried pre-skip
Q1 = 1, skip to Q8
Q1 = 3, skip to Q7

And under Q7 pre-skip
Q1 = 1, skip to Q8
Q1 = 2, skip to Q8

What happens is none of the grids appear - I go straight from Q4 to Q8.
Am I adding the skip to the wrong questions?
That logic seems like it ought to work.  Can you double-check that all the skip settings were added correctly?  No pre-skips were accidentally left as post-skips?

Also, these questions are on separate pages, right?
thanks so much - have it sorted now. Was attaching to the wrong question.

Your answer

Please only use this to answer the original question. Otherwise please use comments.
Your name to display (optional):
Privacy: Your email address will only be used for sending these notifications.
Anti-spam verification:

To avoid this verification in future, please log in or register.