Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

how to hide hidden variable screen in the survey

I have couple of hidden variables in my survey and don't want to show the hidden variable screen to the respondents.

Currently I have type="hidden" in my variable and it shows a blank screen.
asked Jul 6, 2012 by Lawrence Bronze (2,100 points)
retagged Sep 13, 2012 by Walter Williams

2 Answers

0 votes
Best answer
Put those on the start of the next page or end of previous page
answered Jul 6, 2012 by Bahadir Ozkurt Gold (16,830 points)
Thanks Bahadir. It was very difficult to arrange all the hidden variables in my survey. However executed
Be sure to place them on a page where the skip patterns are consistent with the base of your hidden question. No good have half your hidden variable captured because of a skip.
very good advice Paul, I didnt think to mention that.
Paul, thanks for your input. I completely agree your point. Initially I was struggling to move the hidden questions on the page and got an error because of some skip conditions etc. Then I have added some HTML text filler to manage.
0 votes
If you are using version 8, you can get rid of the free format question entirely by creating pass-in fields under the Questionnaire Access and Passwords area, and then use the SetValue() function to provide them with a value later on in the survey.  The SetValue() function can be put into an existing question, i.e. in the footer, so it doesn't add any extra white space to your pages like a free-format with hidden variables would.
answered Jul 9, 2012 by Brian McEwan Gold Sawtooth Software, Inc. (37,710 points)
Brian, if I put the SetValue() function in a footer, how to I suppress the footer?  I would not want the respondent to see what SetValue() is returning.
The SetValue() function shouldn't be returning anything to the screen.