Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

CBC scenarios: 4 attributes stay the same for each set of alternatives

Dear all,

I'm quite new with the Lighthouse software and of course read some technical papers but I still have a question:

I want to create a CBC/(ACBC) that involves a specific scenario for each choice task (set of alternatives). For example:

Attribute 1: purpose of trip (3 levels)
Attribute 2: time of day (3 levels)
Attribute 3: working day? (2 levels)
Attribute 4: length of original trip (5 levels)

Attribute 5: additional travel time (5 levels)
Attribute 6: possible time variability (3 levels - % of attribute 4)
Attribute 7: profit (5 levels)

To not overwhelm the respondents, the "initial trip design" (attributes 1-4) should be stable within a given choice task, but of course in the next choice task the initial trip design can be changed. So the respondent can focus on the differences (attributes 5-7) in a specific situation.

Is it possible to create this kind of CBC? (without destroying the efficiency)
It would be great if someone could help me.

Thanks in advance.
asked Jan 25 by epoxo (140 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
Yes, it is possible to create a design like this in CBC but it would take some customization - it is not something you can do automatically in the software.  You would need to create a design in Lighthouse Studio, then export it and massage it, then bring it back into the software for fielding.  

There might also need to be some customization needed during the analysis phase, particularly if you have a None alternative.
answered Jan 25 by Keith Chrzan Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (56,025 points)