Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Randomizing inside of the blocks

Hi everyone,

My problem is that, I have 4 blocks which are consisted by the 4 different videos. Every block includes two videos - the main video and the second randomized video (of other 3 videos)  - , so that the first video will be showed and after questions comes the second randomized video. The goal is that every video gets the same amount of views. How should I do this?

Thank you for the help!
asked Jan 23 by Joohih (120 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
I'm assuming you have your blocks randomized already.  One way to do this would be to put each of your 3 randomized videos on their own page and randomize those pages.  You could then write a pre-skip instruction on each page to skip if that equivalent page(video) was seen in one of the other blocks (i.e. Preskip to next question if Shown (Q1A) or Shown (Q1B) or Shown (Q1C) ).  This would be an example for Q1D, assuming that 1A, 1B, 1C and 1D were the same video question but in different blocks.

You could also use a combination of quota questions and list building where the items in the list call upon the 3 different video scripts, but this gets a little trickier.  I just did something similar recently for showing images.
answered Jan 23 by Jay Rutherford Gold (23,095 points)
A "least fill" quota approach will be required here if the video counts need to be very much the same.
Good call Paul.  Definitely a little more involved but probably a better method for even distribution.
It all depends on the criteria for how strict the distributions need to be?