Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Is it possible to include hold-out questions in ACBC surveys?

The manual, does not give any advices regarding hold-out question in ACBC, it is only stated according to CBC. Due to adaptive designs in the ACBC I was wondering how to include holdout questions in my survey? I have sales data available, therefore I had planned to validate my share predictions with real data afterwards and fine tune the logit exponent if necessary.
Would you recommend to have additional hold out questions included?
asked Jul 2, 2012 by anonymous

1 Answer

0 votes
Standard CBC-looking holdouts may be included in the ACBC survey, if that's what you would like to do.

If you own the CBC license, then you'll need to copy-and-paste the attribute level lists into the CBC interface (for attributes and levels).  So, essentially, you are adding a CBC study within your SSI Web study (that already includes an ACBC section).

Next, tell CBC to create Fixed Tasks only (no random tasks), and specify exactly which levels to show in each task.

Then, put these fixed CBC tasks somewhere in your SSI Web study.

If you don't own the CBC license, then you can use "Free Format" question types in SSI Web, and with your own HTML programming, you can create CBC-looking tasks to serve as holdouts.

If you have sales data, then that serves as validation.  But, often sales data don't line up (or should be expected to line up) with conjoint predictions.  That's because there often are things that are different about the real world than the conjoint simulation world:

a) distribution: are all products equally available in the marketplace?
b) time on the market: has each product been available long enough to reach its potential
c) advertising/awareness: has each of the products achieved deep awareness?  Conjoint makes all products known and available to everybody
d) effectiveness of sales force: even if a product is good, a bad sales effort could lead to diminished sales

etc.
answered Jul 2, 2012 by Bryan Orme Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (150,315 points)
How to analyse fixed CBC tasks?
Holdouts in ACBC