Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Problem with natural level order in an alternative specific Design

Hi,
I have made an alternative specific design.  
My primary attribute has four levels.

Furthermore I have some conditional attributes with each 2 to 5 levels and 1 common attribute with 4 levels

These are my design configurations:
Number of random choice tasks: 15
Number of fixed choice tasks: 3
Number of concepts per choice taks: 4
Random task generation method: Complete Enumeration
Number of questionnaire versions: 300
Design seed: 1

I also have tried it with Random task generation method: Shortc
I have checked the alternative-specific CBC design
I don't randomize the attribute order
Concept sorting within tasks: sort using natural level order.
I checked show levels  of first attribute no more than once per task.

But when I am looking at my Preview there is still not all 4 primary levels shown. One of the Levels is always twice.

I tried everything and don't know how to fix it.

PS: I also have tried it with Random task generation method, Shortcut but it didnt work either.

Can someone please help?
asked Dec 16, 2017 by irda (120 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
I'm assuming your first attribute is the primary attribute, where you want each level to show exactly once per task...

Assuming you are using v9, what happens when you use Complete Enumeration method, then click Design Tab + Additional Settings...

...and then click "Show Levels of First Attribute No More than once per Task"
answered Dec 16, 2017 by Bryan Orme Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (142,815 points)
Hi Bryan,
Thank you for the quick answer.

Your comment helped a lot. I just put None in stead of natural level order in the concept sorting and it worked. Can you maybe tell me what the difference is?

Thank you so much!
Merry Christmas
You need to run test survey to see the actual design that respondents will see.  Clicking Preview just uses a random design.