Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Share test survey locally with teammate who doesn't have Sawtooth?

What option do I have to share a test survey locally with a teammate who doesn’t have Sawtooth (so, someone to whom I can’t just send the .ssi and have them test the survey themselves)?

DETAILS:
I’ve created a survey. I can test it locally. When I do, the following link opens in my browser:

http://xxx.x.x.x:xxxxx/my_survey/cgi-bin/ciwweb.exe?hid_studyname=my_survey&hid_pagenum=0

Then I can proceed through the test survey.

But when I share this with teammates, they can’t see it.

It seems like others are having issue with this as well <https://sawtoothsoftware.com/forum/9462/share-the-survey-with-supervisor> and that there’s no clear solution. Although, that question was asked almost 2yrs ago.

UPDATE: My team does have access to an internal dummy server. I could host the survey there and provide a link to teammates. I'm still just not sure how I would go about this.
asked Nov 8 by ertingen Bronze (610 points)
edited Nov 9 by ertingen
I would upload the survey to the host / server and then provide your colleague with a survey link to that survey on your host / server.

I always allow for test links on my surveys (like using a password=1111 for example).

When your colleague has completed their tests, just delete any surveys where the password=1111, as per my example.
I'm so new to this. I don't know what's meant by "the" survey (is that the link I shared above. I don't even know what that is. It's supposedly a file. But it doesn't look anything like a file to me. It looks like a string that gets parsed and runs ciwweb.exe with some variable values supplied). Also, we can't upload to the Sawtooth servers (confidentiality reasons). We do have a dummy team server. What exactly am I uploading to the dummy team server and what file/link am I sharing? Do I upload my whole my_survey folder? I'm so confused

1 Answer

0 votes
If the survey is only on your device and not uploaded to a server, then you can only test on that device.

If your colleague had a Sawtooth Software licence, you could copy the survey files across to their device and they could also test it.

You can also download a demo version from the Sawtooth Software website but it has a limited number of variables / respondents you can test with.
answered Nov 9 by Paul Moon Platinum (55,975 points)
Paul, I added an update to my original question. To re-iterate, my team does have access to internal, dummy server from which we can host the survey for teammates. I'm just not clear on the steps to go about this.
I think your best bet with this dummy server is to contact support directly at support@sawtoothsoftware.com. I would send them an email as they are very helpful in these matters.

I'm not familiar with the dummy server you mention.

Hope that helps.
Adding what I discovered: 1. you can't just copy all survey and test files over to someone's computer (who doesn't have Sawtooth) and have them run it  because those files require an install of Sawtooth to basically create an Apache Web Server VM (? Not sure I have that right). 2. you could create a CAPI project and copy the .capi file over to another's computer. They could then run it, provided they have the CAPI software installed. 3. Really best to just host from the Sawtooth servers.