Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Where is the 'None' option when exporting a design for scripting

Hi,

I'm a little confused I'm running a project where I will be submitting a design from sawtooth to a survey scripting and distribution company. I've created my design with a traditional none option. When I export the design I thought there would be an alternative with some nominal coding for the 'none'. However, there isn't. I am sure there is a reason for this but I'm confused as to how sawtooth will interpret the data that comes back. My design has three alternatives and the none meaning that the returned data file wil come back for each choice as either 1, 2, 3 or 4. Does sawtooth automatically identify that 4=none? Or have I done something wrong?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers
asked Nov 1 by Jasha Bowe Bronze (1,660 points)
retagged Nov 1 by Walter Williams

1 Answer

+1 vote

Best answer
When you export the design to .CSV, only the level indices for the non-None concepts are written out.  But, if you've selected the "None" option in the software interface, then indeed the software knows that there is an additional category of the dependent variable.  If there are 4 options on the screen to choose among, and a None is one of them, then it's the 4th option in the responses file.
answered Nov 1 by Bryan Orme Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (128,265 points)
selected Nov 1 by Jasha Bowe