Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Is it possible to randomize multiple items in a question so that they correspond to each other?

I am working on designing a MaxDiff exercise that asks respondents to rank different information sources based on either their ease of use or their practicality. I would like to design only one exercise so that I can segment and compare the data. Is it possible to construct a list to insert into the question that will show either hardest/easiest or most/least practical, as opposed to easiest/least practical?
asked Jun 15, 2012 by anonymous
retagged Sep 13, 2012 by Walter Williams
I don't think I understand your question.  Perhaps you could clarify the following points:

1) What do you mean by ranking based on either X or Y?  It's probably not a great idea to be collecting data on two different metrics and trying to run a single MaxDiff analysis.  What is easiest to use might not be the most practical?

2) A good MaxDiff design will be balanced and orthogonal, i.e. I don't always show you the same items together.  Ease of use or practicality is the setting or the framework I'm using for choosing source X or source Y, so I don't understand where the list comes in.

3) Are you doing this manually, rather than using a MaxDiff exercise?

Perhaps you could clarify with a screenshot (host it using a free image sharing service such was www.imgur.com) or example of what the task should look like?  Feel free to send something into support at sawtoothsoftware.com if that's easier.

Your answer

Please only use this to answer the original question. Otherwise please use comments.
Your name to display (optional):
Privacy: Your email address will only be used for sending these notifications.
Anti-spam verification:

To avoid this verification in future, please log in or register.