Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Should I use prohibition under this situation?

If our company is never going to offer a certain low price with any of the high-end features, should I put in prohibition at the first place? If so, there will be a lot of prohibition. If not, am I going to "waste" tasks showing to the respondents?
asked Oct 19 by xliu (180 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
I would not put in the prohibitions, no.  You have to let the design explore the entire design space in an even and balanced way.  It might "feel like" you're wasting tasks by showing unrealistic concepts, but that feeling is deceiving you:  what you're really doing is creating a balanced experiment, one that will draw on the power of the experimental design to give you precise estimates of all the utilities.  

I would put in prohibitions in cases where logical impossibilities would result without them (e.g. yo'd have combinations like "married bachelors" or "square circles" or "twice two is five" or "motorcycle with sunroof," or "Tylenol tablets, 8.6 fl oz."  Those will confuse respondents who will rightly be frustrated by your survey.  They are usually best handled using alternative specific designs.
answered Nov 15 by Keith Chrzan Gold Sawtooth Software, Inc. (48,525 points)