Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Randomly assign participants to conditions

Hey guys,

ok so I'm sure this is really basic, but I can't seem to get a foot in the door with this one.

Within my research I want to do a T-test regarding the attribute importances between different groups. For that, I want one group of participants to be assigned to do a ACBC task with 7 attributes and one group to only answer 4 of these attributes.
How can I implement a skip logic to my survey that randomly assigns participants to these groups?
Of course both groups should be the same size.

Thank you in advance!
Helen
asked Oct 4 by Helen Keller

1 Answer

0 votes
The simplest solution might be to skip all even respondents to one ACBC and all odd respondents to another ACBC.  You can use this skip logic to grab all even respondents:

RespNum() Mod 2 = 0

This tries to produce two groups of the same size, but the groups may not be exactly the same size due to disqualified / incomplete respondents.  If this is a concern, you can consider using this quota question instead:

http://sawtoothsoftware.com/community-question-library/1808-even-distribution-quota
answered Oct 4 by Zachary Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (63,475 points)