Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

How can I write chip allocation in CBC for only one level?

Hi,

I have a querry about the chip allocation in CBC. CBC needs to at least two level for the chip allacation but I do not have any second attribute/level in the question.

I am looking for a way to show items and ask respondents to allocate chips (11) to those items which are only brands. I suppose that I need to use CBC, Advanced Design Module. But when I added all the items for the first attribute.  Then, CBC gives a warning that at least two level is necessary. I tried to add a second attribute as a dummy variable, maybe I can be fix the issue and ignore the second attribute afterwards somehow in the analysis phase (and for this I used HTML's blank characters " " or blank so that will not be visible to the respondents). But in this time, CBC shows the same brand twice in the same screen for the first and second attribute which means second attribute still running back side of the script. I couldn't handle it.

Is there any way to do that? Or is there any way in order to do chip allocation only for one attribute?

Thanks for your answer in advance.
asked Aug 28, 2017 by seslem (140 points)
retagged Aug 28, 2017 by seslem

1 Answer

0 votes
You can fool CBC into doing a 1-attribute project.  With allocation.  Just add a second dummy attribute with blank levels like you say.  During analysis, you can "exclude" the second attribute from utility calculation.

Make sure to use "complete enumeration" or "shortcut" design methods so you don't get any same brand repeats in any one task.

Then, test data collection.  Test analysis.  Make sure it all seems to be working right before actually taking to field.
answered Aug 28, 2017 by Bryan Orme Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (131,390 points)