Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

How to build up MaxDiff simulator

Hi

My client wants to apply MaxDiff method to examine features importance for its product. But there is a question raised by him. Is there any MaxDiff simulator generated or produced after analysis? I reviewed the website and couldn't find MaxDiff simulator. It would be grateful if someone could guide me how to produce MaxDiff simulator.

Client's objective is:
1) view importance at total level and different subgroups;

2) for different subgroups, the top 10 most important features in sequential order (from most important to least important)

3) for different subgroups, I need to find the importance of optimal feature combinations which meets specific value (e.g. the importance of feature combinations are sum to 80% (this 80% could be varied))

4) in optimal feature combinations calculation, some features cannot be revealed at the same time (e.g. we have two battery life features, one is 3-hr battery life and the other one is 5-hr battery life. In feature combinations calculation, these two features cannot display simultaneously)
asked Jun 6, 2012 by ericdee Bronze (1,800 points)
retagged Sep 13, 2012 by Walter Williams

1 Answer

0 votes

Best answer
We have an online tool at www.maxdiffanalyzer.com that is probably what you are looking for.  Once you have estimated your item scores, you can save them to a CSV and upload them to a project at that site.  You can also upload a CSV of segmentation variables in order to split out the scores, simulations, and optimization runs by those variables.

So, #1 is taken care of by the segmenting

#2 would require sorting, which currently isn't implemented on the fly.  But, once I turned on a segmentation variable to look at my item scores, I can download that summary to a CSV and sort it easily in Excel, for example

For #3, you might be interested in the TURF optimization capabilities.  TURF stands for total unduplicated reach and frequency, and is a neat analysis approach for MaxDiff items.  Say, for instance, I can only stock 5 ice cream flavors.  I might run a MaxDiff on 20 flavors, and one option would be to just choose the top 5 flavors on average.  But, if the same people who like flavor 1 also like flavor 2, TURF would allow me to stock the 5 flavors that "reaches" the greatest number of people.  Since MaxDiff scores are continuous, rather than discrete, there are a few options for informing TURF how someone is counted as "reached' or not.  But, there is not a specific option to make things sum to 80, though I think that would be pretty hard to pick the "right" number to target (too arbitrary)

For #4, TURF supports both prohibitions (items cannot appear together in a bundle) as well as forcing specific items to a bundle (if I have to have vanilla, what are the best other 4 flavors to include).

The MaxDiff Analyzer is $250 per year for an account, and you can sign up for a free 30-day trial at www.maxdiffanalyzer.com
answered Jun 6, 2012 by Brian McEwan Gold Sawtooth Software, Inc. (37,385 points)
How to build MaxDiff simulator in standalone application?