Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Number of observations in ACBC

Dear all,
a reviewer has asked us to also report the total number of observations of our ACBC.

I double-checked the data and have seen that the number of screening tasks and choice tasks differ for the respondents. I would assume that one choice task counts as one observation, whereas the different tasks in the screening section would count each individually as one observation (yes/no), right?

How would I treat the unacceptable section, would that also count as an observation?

Thanks and best wishes,
Stefanie
asked Aug 11 by Stefanie

1 Answer

0 votes
Indeed, the number of "observations" (choice tasks) differs by person.

BYO:  each attribute included in the BYO is formatted as a separate choice task.

Screener Section:  Each near-neighbor card generated is counted as a choice task (binary choice versus the "None" threshold).  PLUS, any time an Unacceptable or Must Have is indicated by the respondent, ACBC looks ahead to see if any already generated cards that have not been answered yet would violate the screening rule.  If so, responses to those cards are inferred (become choice tasks, where the "None" alternative is chosen) and new cards are generated to replace those inferred answer cards.

Choice Tournament:  Depending on how many cards were marked as "a possibility" in the Screener section and depending on whether you have formatted the Choice Tournament to be 2 concepts per task or 3 concepts per task and depending on whether you chose to include your BYO card in the choice tournament, enough choice tasks are asked to complete the round-robin tournament and identify the overall winning card.
answered Aug 11 by Bryan Orme Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (128,365 points)
Thanks Bryan! One last question as I am not 100% sure whether I understand your answer above correctly:

Do I count the number of "unacceptables" chosen as observations as well?
Well, sometimes an unacceptable doesn't add any new information at all, so it wouldn't count as an observation.  Sometimes it does.  For example, if a respondent says that color "red" is unacceptable and if no cards yet to be answered contain "red", then this unacceptable answer is meaningless and contributes no new information.  But, if the respondent says "red" is unacceptable and if 3 cards not yet seen by the respondent contain "red", then this unacceptable response actually contributes 3 observations.