Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

How does one get categorical variables to show up in the outputs individual level HB outputs?

Pretend I have a study in multiple countries, and I am running an 8-task max diff in a different survey program.

1. I know how to get the accumulated data template and then input our results into it to match.

2. I know how to edit the data field to then bring in my other categorical variable using "add column" and copying and pasting in from my survey database.

3. In my analysis run, I know how to  filter by the categorical (say, US only) but...

That means I would have to run the analysis X number of times for each filter category. I cannot figure out how to merely get the categorical filter to show up in the analysis run, so I am left doing one un-filtered run and then take the utilities out and handle the filter (in that I have to match the filter back up to the individual utilities) + analysis outside of the studio.

Is there a way simply to get the analysis run itself to populate with additional categorical variables so I do not have to manually match them back up? I am just trying to eliminate a single step, but I am totally at a loss as to how to get this output to populate with more variables beside the attribute utilities and respondent IDs.

Thanks!
asked Aug 8 by anonymous

1 Answer

0 votes
Ideally, I think you would want to run it unfiltered and then apply your segment to the data.  On a CBC analysis run, there is an option to show a Utility Report which allows segmenting on a categorical variable, but this is not available for MaxDiff at this time.

There are a couple of alternatives that might work for you.  

1. To stay with your current process, I think you probably want to look in the export area.  After you run analysis, there should be export fields available for the utilities for the MaxDiff run you did.  You should be able to just include those in your export along with your categorical variable and the IDs should be matched up in the exported output.

2. If you have access, the other option would be to export the utilities from Lighthouse Studio in a CSV format and create a project with the MaxDiffAnalyzer (http://sawtoothsoftware.com/products/maxdiff-software/maxdiffanalyzer-com).  You can then add variables and segment by them there.  This tool provides other features as well, such as Simulations and TURF analysis, if that interests you.

I hope this helps and I have submitted a feature request to  have the Utility Report option available in Lighthouse Studio for MaxDiff utilities just like we have done for conjoint utilities (CBC, CVA, ACA, ACBC).

Thanks,
Jon
answered Aug 8 by Jon Heaton Silver Sawtooth Software, Inc. (6,555 points)