Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Size of segments in LC - percent information differs from absolut number

Dear all,

my LC analysis gives me for a four-segment solution the relative numbers of 24.6%, 17.5%, 30.4% and 27.5%. Also, when looking at the absolute numbers that the summary gives me, it says that the respective absolute numbers would be n = 63; 44; 84; 74 for N = 265 in total.
However, exemplary if you take 0.175 x 265 it gives me a an absolute number of approximately 46 individuals, but LC says that segment 2 includes 44 members which would lead to a relative segment size of 16.6%, not 17.5%.

Can you tell me why this is? Which values shall I use?

I hope to hear from you soon. Thanks for your help!
Best regards
asked Aug 5 by briniminii (490 points)
retagged Aug 5 by Walter Williams

1 Answer

0 votes

Best answer
Each respondent is probabilistically assigned to each segment.  So Jones might be 53% in class 1, 23% in class 2 and 24% in class 3.  The segment sizes the software reports out are the means of these probabilities across respondents.   As you can imagine this will differ a little from counts of respondents you will get if you assign each respondent 100% to their highest probability segment.
answered Aug 6 by Keith Chrzan Gold Sawtooth Software, Inc. (48,200 points)
selected Aug 6 by briniminii
That makes absolutely sense.

Which number then would you report? The absolute numbers divided by the total number of respondents or the means of the probabilities across respondents?

Best regards, and thanks for your help!