Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

T-Test between two groups in ACBC

Dear Sawtooth Software team,

i have conducted an ACBC and I am now trying to find out if there are significant differences in utilities between different groups (e.g. male vs. female, different age groups).
From statistics class I remember that using a t-test would be appropriate - still, I unfortunately have no idea how to do this t-test between e.g. the male and female group.

I really hope you guys can help me!

Thanks in advance and best regards from Germany,
asked Jun 28, 2017 by Fabian90 (120 points)

1 Answer

0 votes

The easiest way to do this would be to treat the numbers like any other numbers (e.g. rating scales).  Then you can use the t-test function in SPSS or even in Excel or in online t-test procedures.  

If computing the test by hand you'll need to get the means and standard deviations of each utility for both males and females, again something easily done in Excel.  

If you want to get really fancy you can run Bayesian versions of these tests instead of traditional frequentist tests you learned in school.  Contact me at keith@sawtoothsoftware.com if you want to know more about Bayesian tests.
answered Jul 2, 2017 by Keith Chrzan Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (65,925 points)