Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Free Format Question With Slider Into Numeric Variable

Hi,

I have created a free format question so as to create a numeric slider between two values, using the script from the Sawtooth knowledgebase "How to Use jQueryUI Sliders in SSI Web", however I don't know how to change the question type from free-format to numeric, or at least have the software recognize that I'm creating a numeric value with the slider.

I want to use the value from the slider further on in the survey, particularly to establish the base price in BYO section of an ACBC, such as
[% Slider1 %] but I always get the error that the question/value is not numeric.

Is there a trick to this, a question setting in the free format or some slick code which can help me out?   

Many thanks
asked Jun 23 by Jasha Bowe Bronze (1,680 points)
retagged Jun 23 by Walter Williams
The first thing that stands out to me is your Sawtooth Script.  To read a value from a free format question, you need to put the name of the question and the name of the variable in the script separated by an underscore:

[% Slider1_value %]

1 Answer

0 votes
When you are in the free format question, double click on the question name and the question type should appear. Select numeric from the drop down list.

I think that is your problem if using v8, v9.
answered Jun 23 by Paul Moon Platinum (55,975 points)
Hi Paul,

Many thanks. I've created the variable and selected from the dropdown text(numeric). and I've placed the script in the HTML section under where the variables are listed... however it's still not picking up the value of the slider. The BYO question now accepts that it is numeric but the slider value doesn't come through. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong...
OK, I was thinking you just had that setting set incorrectly.

I have forwarded your issue to Zachary Anderson who has the expertise to address this issue promptly.

I'm sure he will be in touch soon.