Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Allow Designs to Lack Connectivity

Thanks Bryan,

As a follow up, if I am going to use aggregate logit estimation and possibly some basic latent class on a maxdiff as you suggest above where each attribute will be shown 1000x across the sample (6 attributes x 14 Choice sets x 1000 respondents) do I need to select the option of "allowing designs to lack connectivity" or is 1000x per sample (1 time per respondent) or is that a sufficient amount to allow connectivity of designs?

I would assume i would definitely have to use it if I were only using 500x across  the sample as not every attribute would be seen by every by each respondent.

Many thanks
asked Apr 28, 2017 by Jasha Bowe Bronze (1,745 points)
retagged Apr 28, 2017 by Walter Williams

1 Answer

+2 votes
Often times when you decide to do sparse MaxDiff designs, it isn't possible within the same questionnaire version for all the items to be either directly or indirectly compared to all other items.  Of course, when multiple versions of the questionnaire are fielded across multiple people, the connectivity is able to be when considering multiple people and multiple versions.  

So, you may need to check the box to allow lack of connectivity within individual designs.  I'd only check that box when you can no longer generate designs that avoid the warning about lack of connectivity within designs.
answered Apr 28, 2017 by Bryan Orme Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (150,615 points)