Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Offline Survey App - Respondent ID

I have a survey in field that are using the offline app in different devices and I have few doubts about Respondent ID.

On the Offline App:
How the Respondent ID works on the app? Is it unique on the app? Because I have one case that the same device has duplicated ID.
For different devices can create the same Respondent ID?

In the server:
After synchronizing the app, the Respondent ID can it be changed? Or we can have the Respondent ID Duplicated ?
asked Apr 13, 2017 by arianbortoli (190 points)
retagged Apr 13, 2017 by Walter Williams

1 Answer

+1 vote
Best answer
Offline Surveys reserves a block of respondent ID's per device per survey.  So if device M is the first to get survey A, ID's 1-10XXX are reserved for this device where XXX can be any random number.  If another device N downloads survey A then 10XXX+1-20YYY are reserved for it where XXX is the offset for device M and YYY is a random number for device N.

Each device gets a block of slightly more than 10K reserved numbers.  These IDs are used when syncing to the server.  However, when the device data is merged to the server, if the server encounters a duplicate, it will renumber it server side to an ID that is not currently in use.
answered Apr 13, 2017 by Mike Lodder Gold (23,410 points)
selected Apr 13, 2017 by arianbortoli