Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

How do I generate different links for each segment of my target group?

I need about 10 different links for my target group in order to do a segmentation based on a criterion that canĀ“t be asked directly in the survey. Thanks for your help!
asked May 14, 2012 by anonymous

2 Answers

0 votes
I'm not sure I understand what you need, but check the pass-in fields documentation. It allows you to define parameter(s) to the end of the link, these parameters can act like respondent answered questions.

you can use these parameters in skips, quotas etc...
answered May 14, 2012 by Bahadir Ozkurt Gold (16,830 points)
0 votes
You can use pass-in fields, as Bahadir mentioned, or you can use merged fields.  Pass-in fields are used to append a value for a variable as part of the linke, i.e. gender=1, so it's kind of pre-answering a question when the person starts the survey.

Merged fields are similar, but they are tied to a password.  For example, if you knew I was going to take your survey using the password 1234, you could set up some merged fields to populate things like FirstName=Brian, Gender=2, and so forth.  When I type in 1234 to start the survey, those variables are automatically populated according to the merged fields you have set up.

For short video on creating links that have passwords and pass-in fields in them, please see https://www.sawtoothsoftware.com/support/issues/ssiweb/help_movies/pass_in_info.htm.

To read a bit more about passwords versus pass-in fields versus merged fields, you can read the help files in SSI Web or online at www.sawtoothsoftware.com/support/issues/ssiweb/online_help/hid_web_passwords_intro.htm
answered May 15, 2012 by Brian McEwan Gold Sawtooth Software, Inc. (37,385 points)
Many thanks for your answers, that helps a lot!