Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

optimizing for mobile

are there any settings (local, global, or both) to optimize a survey for mobile usage? e.g., font and page sizes, etc.  

as it is, with page height of 400px, it looks okay in landscape, but the type is very small to read.

the survey has a simple format, no tables or grids.
we anticipate it will primarily be taken on mobile devices but should also be usable on a PC.   thanks in advance for your help.
asked Mar 27, 2017 by clare (190 points)

1 Answer

+1 vote
Mobile improvements are definitely a priority for us.  9.1.0 introduced mobile select and grid questions and we have some more changes coming soon.

I'm not sure what font size would look best for your survey, but I can offer you some code.  Putting this in the survey head tag will make all text 25% larger for users with a screen width under 800px:

<script>
$(document).ready(function(){
    if (SSI_ScreenWidth() <= 800) {
        $('#page').find('*').css('font-size', '125%');
    }
})
</script>

Is that kind of what you're after?
answered Mar 27, 2017 by Zachary Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (91,200 points)
i get an error message saying 'the value of the property $ is null or undefined, not a function object'
That code uses jQuery, which wasn't automatically included in the software before v8.  Here's the code in pure JavaScript:

<script>
document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', function(){
    if (window.innerWidth <= 800) {
        var all = document.getElementById('page').querySelectorAll('*');
        for (var i = 0; i < all.length; i++) {
            all[i].style.fontSize = '125%';
        }
    }
});
</script>