Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Use of follw up question in CBC

We are doing a CBC DCM study which have 3 concepts and a none. We are asking a follow up question in which we are asking if respondent will be purchasing the selected product with Scheme 1 and Scheme 2. If selected None then follow up question is not asked. Please suggest how we can use this follow up question while computing utilities or in our conjoint simulator.
asked Mar 23 by anonymous

1 Answer

0 votes
Is the follow-up about whether respondents will buy with Scheme 1 OR (exclusive, exhaustive) Scheme 2?  I'll assume so for the answer below.  My answer would change if the follow-up is the inclusive "or".

I take it the follow-up question isn't asked if the respondent opts for "none" in your CBC question, correct?

If my assumptions so far are correct, then you the follow-up question is the dependent variable for a second CBC model which you would model as a binary choice of Scheme 2 or Scheme 1 as a function of the attributes that described the alternative chosen in the CBC question.  This is a data set you will need to customize in Excel and run in CBC/HB (I think it will make the most sense to run respondent-level utility models, as that will make your simulator make more sense).

This also calls for a custom Excel simulator, where you simulate two choices - first the choice among alternatives vs none and then a second choice that simulates the choice of Scheme 1 or 2 .

This might sound like a lot of work but it's pretty common that folks do something like this, because it's a pretty common structure for real choices in the marketplace.
answered Mar 23 by Keith Chrzan Gold Sawtooth Software, Inc. (48,200 points)