Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Is there a way to generate CBC design with higher weight to few levels in an Attribute

I am having a CBC exercise having 3 Attributes with 6 levels each.
I am generating design using 'balanced overlap' and it seems all the levels will be evenly shown in the design.  

But I want to have design such a way that for Attribute 2, first 3 levels should having a frequency weighing to 70% in design and remaining 3 levels only for 30%.

Is it possible to generate a design by providing weight to few levels with in an Attribute?

Thanks in Advance.
asked Mar 17, 2017 by Bharath Bronze (695 points)
retagged Mar 17, 2017 by Walter Williams

1 Answer

+1 vote
 
Best answer
When I want to overweight levels in our CBC design programs, I start by replicating the levels in the attribute entry interface that I want to overweight (the software won't accept duplicate labels as different levels, so you make replicates have at least one character difference in the labels).  I generate the design.  Then, I export the design to .CSV file from the Design Tab + Export.

Then, I modify the .CSV file to recode the duplicated levels back to be the original levels.  

I then modify the project (the attribute list) to delete the extra labels, so I'm back to my original attribute level lists in the CBC software.  I then use Design + Import to import the modified .CSV file.

I then retest my design to check the frequencies and efficiency of the design.
answered Mar 17, 2017 by Bryan Orme Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (174,215 points)
selected Jul 26, 2017 by Bharath
Thanks for this alternative approach Bryan, this seems to work but need to be careful while editing design in .CSV file.
We need to test the design to know the weight of levels after modifying the design in this method.

This means, we do not have an option in tool to overweight few attributes while generating the design it self but glad to know that we are having an alternative solution to achieve this.
...