Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

How to exclude respondents who completed too quickly a survey?

Is there a way to exclude respondents that completed a survey too quickly ('speedsters')?

I am a beginner with Sawtooth and do not know much about Javascript module, so please do not hesitate to detail :)

But I would like to:
1)  send fastest respondents to the exclusion terminate link if their elapsed time is less than 5 minutes
2) And show their total elapsed time on the text of the exclusion page

Note: I work with SSI web 7
asked Mar 15 by anonymous

1 Answer

0 votes
In v9, I would use a neat function called PageTime which records the number of seconds between a defined start and end page and saves the elapsed time in a variable you define.

My v7 is a bit rusty but here's a potential solution.

You could create a free format question at the front of your survey (time stamp 1)and another at the end of your survey (time stamp 2). Define each time stamp as a whole number.

If time stamp 2 - time stamp 1 < 300, then terminate. Note the time stamps are recorded in seconds.

Time stamp 1 free format script ...
<input name="HdTimeStamp1_CODE" type="hidden" value="
[%
Begin Unverified Perl

my $ts1=0;

$ts1=time();

return $ts1;

End Unverified
%]
">

Time stamp 2 free format script ...
<input name="HdTimeStamp2_CODE" type="hidden" value="
[%
Begin Unverified Perl

my $ts2=0;

$ts2=time();

return $ts2;

End Unverified
%]
">

You can insert a skip with the condition ...

(HdTimeStamp2_CODE-HdTimeStamp1_CODE)<300 and skip to the termination page.

To display the elapsed time (rounded down to the nearest minute), insert the following on the disqualification page ...
Elapsed time: [%Floor((HdTimeStamp2_CODE-HdTimeStamp1_CODE)/60)%] minutes.

Using the latest version of Sawtooth Software (Lighthouse Studio) would certainly provide you with a far neater solution.
answered Mar 15 by Paul Moon Platinum (55,975 points)
Error Problem