Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Menu-Based Conjoint without price?

I am designing a study where I'd like to allow respondents to pick a base cause that they most support and then select what, if any, actions they would participate in. For example, let's say we want to look at a bunch of charitable organizations. I'd want them to pick one charity that they most support (Susan G Komen, ALS, JDRF, American Cancer Society, etc.) and then some of the initiative they might participate in, (marathons, walk-a-thons, general fundraising, etc.) there would likely be multiple options for multiple categories, but they would be "add-ons" so that's what makes me think MBC is the appropriate CB model. But without an element of price is this doable? Is there something that would be more appropriate?
asked Feb 2 by Kristi
retagged Feb 2 by Walter Williams

1 Answer

0 votes
As you are suggesting, there really isn't any need for price to be involved to have a menu-based conjoint design and model.

That said, I wonder whether the questions you want to answer really involve an experimental design (where aspects of the question, such as attribute levels, vary across tasks and across respondents).   Couldn't you just show all the charities-- and when respondents pick a charity you then show the add-on (check-boxes) that the respondent wants to pick under that charity?  You just show one "task" to the respondent and you tabulate the choices across respondents using simple counting analysis?
answered Feb 2 by Bryan Orme Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (128,365 points)