Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Filter based off answers to max-diff scores

I have a max-diff question. There will be 15-20 attributes and respondents will go through 10-12 screens each showing 5 of these attributes and picking their best and worst attribute. What I would like to do is construct a list with the top 3 attributes for each respondent so they can then skip to the relevant parts for the rest of the questionnaire.
Any ideas would be much appreciated?
asked Jan 12, 2017 by PaulKallis (400 points)

1 Answer

0 votes

Best answer
Paul,

You can use an on-the-fly logit program built into Lighthouse to calculate utilities for each item in your MaxDiff experiment.  Then you can use the function MaxDiffRankAttValue(ExerciseName, Rank#) to build a constructed list of ranks 1, 2 and 3 (you can find more information about this function in the Lighthouse help menu).   It's a little tricky to use so make sure to test it to make sure it's functioning properly.

The on-the-fly logit routine would likes more than the usual 3 observations at the respondent level (we usually recommend at least 4-5 views per item) but it looks like you may have to get by with just 3 - not ideal, but something I've had to do myself from time to time.

Funny you should ask - I was doing a similar thing just as your question came in.
answered Jan 12, 2017 by Keith Chrzan Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (52,450 points)
selected Jan 12, 2017 by PaulKallis
Perfect. Thanks Keith