Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

How to deal with prohibitions in case (3)?

Thanks for your reply. If I am in situation (3) as you described above, I actually do not have any prohibitions. How should I formulate the prohibitions then?
asked Nov 22, 2016 by Marjolein Harmsen - van Hout

1 Answer

0 votes
Marjolein,

I think if you have prohibitions about which price points can appear with which brands, then you have a situation more akin to the second case I described.  The different design methodologies I described can all accommodate this situation and software packages can handle it pretty easily, though some do it a little differently than others.

But if you don't have prohibitions and you are in the third case I describe, then when you run the analysis you just create a different design column for each brand's prices.  So if you have brands A, B and C you have a column in your design for brand A's price (which is coded as missing when the profile is brand B or C) and you have  a second column for brand B's price (coded as missing when the profile is of brand A or C) and a third column for brand C's price, again coded as missing when the profile is for brand A or B.  The exact way of coding the prices to be missing is software-specific and can depend as well on whether you treat price as a part-worth or a linear function.
answered Nov 22, 2016 by Keith Chrzan Gold Sawtooth Software, Inc. (48,525 points)
What to indicate if you don't have prohibitions?