Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

numeric Question more than 9 charachters

Hello,

I need to use Numeric question for answers mare than 9 characters.
asked Oct 3, 2016 by Tarek

2 Answers

0 votes
To accomplish this, you'll need to use an open end question or a free format question instead of a numeric question.  Either way, you can use custom JavaScript verification to ensure that the answer is a number.  Here's an example verification that requires the response to be only numerical characters:

if (!/^[0-9]+$/.test(SSI_GetValue('OpenEndQ'))) {
    strErrorMessage = 'Not a number.';
}

If you tell me any specific requirements you want for this number (e.g., negative numbers, minimum or maximum values, decimals), I can adjust the code for you.
answered Oct 3, 2016 by Zachary Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (91,200 points)
0 votes
You can also stick with the numeric question setup and in the settings for the max value use the [% %] tag.  You can put any number you want there in excess of 9 characters.  For example: [% 999999999999 %] will allow a max of 12 nines.
answered Oct 3, 2016 by Jay Rutherford Gold (26,800 points)
I will caution however, that the system has it's limits on how it handles very large numbers which is why they cap that.  Previously  I know this method had been tested up to 16 characters and worked fine.  But always be sure to check your data.
Many thanks but now when I exported data to SPSS I get an error message said the numaric expected 9 digit , do you have a resolve for this issue?