Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Constant Sum with Constructed list

We have a check box question followed by Constant Sum Question.

Options selected in Checkbox goes into Constant Sum question.

Earlier, sum of options was supposed to be 100 so we programmed this question as CS. Later client asked to allow sum as less than or more than 100. We edited the setting and allowed below 99 and above 99999 from advanced setting of CS.

Now, if we select just 1 option in select type, Constant sum gets skipped and codes 100 for selected option. However, if would have shown, respondent could have entered anything from 0 to 99999.

We would have programmed this question as grid but this change came during live mode so was not eager to change question type.

We can think of some tricks to show single option but feel that we should have option in software to turn autocoding on and off.

Your views?

Regards,
Saurabh
asked Aug 31, 2016 by Saurabh Aggarwal Gold (29,615 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
I would tend to agree.  I absolutely love the autocode option and it comes in very handy.  I have had situations, however, where the ability to disable that functionality would have been helpful and like in your situation I had to find some ways to work around the issue.
answered Aug 31, 2016 by Jay Rutherford Gold (27,125 points)
Auto-coding does not occur if you use a parent list or if you have an other specify comment box attached to a code. Can you pop the other specify comment box on then hide it? Basically tricking the auto-coder?
Sure, it can be worked around and I've done that.  Overall it's not been a real problem, but if there was an ability to disable it in certain situations I could see that as useful.