Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

How to filter two variables in the data cleaner?

Hi there,

I tried to delete to variables from the file as desrcibed in the help file. Apparently I am doing something wrong as the error "invalid filter file format on line 1. There shouls have been to colum (s)." occurs.
Variable 1: retail company=1; non-retail company=2
Variable 2: SLP=1; RLM=2

To delete non-retail company and RLM I put "2" in A1 and B1 (Excel File).

Can you tell me where there is the fault?

Thanks.
asked Apr 4, 2012 by anonymous
edited Apr 4, 2012

1 Answer

0 votes
To delete all non-retail, RLM respondents you will need to run the data cleaner and open the data file you would like to clean.  After the file has been opened, check the "Use Filter" check box and choose "Delete" all respondents with.  Then you will select variable 1 and variable 2 for the "in column 1" and "in column 2" options.  You will also need to check the "and" check box next to the variable 2.

Then you will need to create a comma-separated values (*.CSV) file with two columns and one row.  It will look like this:

Once this file has been created you can specify it as the "of the following filter file:" in the data cleaner.  Then you just click the "Clean File" button.
answered Apr 4, 2012 by David Squire Silver Sawtooth Software, Inc. (5,330 points)
Thanks David.
But I have difficulties creating the csv file. In excel I put "2" in A1 and "2" in "B1". But that seems to be wrong. Or do I have to insert "2,2" in A1?
my excel filter looks like this:

A1     |    A2
 2      |     2

The error "invalid filter file format on line 1. There shouls have been two colum (s)." occurs. But I have two colums...
Make sure you are saving the file as a *.CSV file.  If you would like to email the file to me I can look at it and tell you what is wrong with it.  My email is dave@sawtoothsoftware.com.
Alright, I sent you an email. Thanks.
Hello. It seems problem solved but how ? :) I have same problem right now. I created a CSV file and this file includes serial numbers what I want to delete. There are 3 columns in CSV file and I define 3 columns in SSI Data Cleaner. But I still get this error message: "Invalid filter format on line 1. There should have been 3 column(ss)"
It will be much easier for me to help you if you send me your files so that I can see what is going wrong with them.  Please email them to dave@sawtoothsoftware.com and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.  Thank you!