Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Ranking Drag & Drop backwards browser compatibility

Hi SSIWeb / Lighthouse community,

The new ranking drag & drop question is a nice new implemented feature in Lighthouse studio. However I face compatibility issues with older versions of Internet Explorer. After testing the survey in browserstack with Internet Explorer 8, I saw that the screen layout is completely messed up, i.e. the drag & drop containers get extremely narrow and high. From Internet Explorer 9 onwards, it seems to work.

I know, that at a certain point backwards compatibility is dropped. Unfortunately we work with respondents in very rigid and inflexible IT environments, from which a lot already should have updated at least 8-10 years ago.

Question is, was the drag & drop implemented and tested for a minimum compatibility?

Thanks for the input,
Sven
asked May 19, 2016 by Sven Schlonsak (180 points)
retagged May 19, 2016 by Walter Williams

1 Answer

0 votes
Sven,

Glad to hear that  you're enjoying the new feature!

With question types like drag and drop that use a lot of advanced JavaScript and CSS it does become tricky to make them backwards compatible, especially in older version of IE. We do test for backwards compatibility across different browsers as a part of the development process and we are aware of the issues you've mentioned. After considering the trade-offs to fixing it in IE 8, we decided that it would be better to build the drag and drop feature looking forward rather than sacrificing look and functionality to be more compatible to in a browser that only holds about a 5% share.

That being said we did what we could to make it at least functional and we continue to be interested in ways to make that compatibility more seamless. If you have any suggestions about how we could do that we would love to hear them.

If you're targeting IE 8, you might consider using a different type of ranking question or you could try to do something a little bit more sophisticated like putting the same ranking question in your study twice, once as a drag and drop question and once using a different type, then you could detect the browser and use skip logic to determine which of the ranking questions the respondent will see.
answered May 19, 2016 by Lance Adamson Bronze Sawtooth Software, Inc. (1,575 points)
Lance,
I completely understand the approach and I do not really see it as an issue.

Yes, unfortunately we still have to target IE 8 as in our realm the share up to that version is still around 10% - as mentioned above, IT moves forward somewhat sluggish.

I also considered the approach with 2 questions, but as we are not living in an ideal world discarded it for timing reasons. Thanks for the suggestion.