Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Need to access a single survey twice and see both responders data

I have a survey which is interviewer-based.  The interviewer will complete the survey with a parent and then days (or possibly weeks) later, the interviewer will complete the same survey with a child.  When going through the survey the second time, the interviewer will need to be able to see the responses given by the parent.

I have programmed a test survey so just prior to hitting the "terminate page," the interviewer is prompted to close the browser window if they are completing the first survey with the parent.  When the survey is re-entered, however, the interviewer is at the end and if s/he is skipped to the beginning, I see no data from the parent.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
asked Mar 22, 2012 by anonymous

1 Answer

+1 vote
What I would do is duplicate every question.  So if you have q1-q10 asked of the parent, have it followed by q11-q20 asked of the child.  If there are no child responses just skip them to the closing screen.  On q11-q20 for the child you can show the answers on each screen for q1-q10 accordingly.

Hope that helps.
answered Mar 22, 2012 by Jay Rutherford Gold (23,220 points)
Thanks for the help!

It's close, but one point that I forgot to make is that that child could potentially be interviewed before the parent.  If that's the case, the child questions (q11-q20) are after the parent questions.  I can't find anything on accessing questions in a post-hoc manner.  I can only find information on access responses that are previous.  Kind of an important point I forgot to make.
It doesn't matter, it will still work.  As long as a question has been answered the data is stored and it can be accessed.  It doesn't matter where the physical placement of the question is.  I tested it with 2 questions, starting with q2 and then after answering skipping back to Q1 and was able to have Q1 show the response to Q2 on the screen with the [%LABEL(Q2)%] script.