Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Problem with Apache in v8 when testing and reseting survey locally

Hi,
I installed v8 yesterday on my win7 system and encountered several problems when I tried testing surveys locally (with IE9). SSI would freeze up and eventually produce a timeout error. This happened for both newly generated test studies with only one question as well as with converted v7 studies.
Also, ever since the installation my CPU is constantly on 90%+ shortly after starting my computer even when SSI isn't even started yet.
I was able to undo both problems by closing/ending and manually restarting the service SSIWEB8.0.0Apache in my task manager.
Is this a bug that can be caused or fixed by something else so that I don't have to mess with the task manager?

Thanks,
Alex
asked Mar 22, 2012 by alex.wendland Bronze (1,950 points)

1 Answer

+1 vote
Apache is only started when SSI Web starts and Apace shuts down with SSI Web.  If you didn't install SSI Web with administrator privileges, please do so.  If you don't, SSI Web will not be able to use the Apache service and local web.  You will probably need to enable a firewall exception for the Apache service otherwise your computer may hang like you are describing.  Hopefully this helps.
answered Mar 22, 2012 by Mike Lodder Gold (23,410 points)
Thank you, Mike, for the quick response.
I will try your recommendations soon and get back to you about it.
In my case the service SSIWEB8.0.0Apache is running from the starting up of windows as the task manager tells me in the tab with the PID column. There I see that it is executed without having started SSIweb.
That is odd.  Apache should not be automatically starting with windows.  Change it to manual mode if it is not.