Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

How accurate is sys_pagetime data?

One of our clients is asking the information that how much time a respondent is spending on every page while filling the survey. I believe we can give them the variables named sys_PageTime. Though we have been giving our clients the total LOI using the variable sys_ElapsedTime, but lately I have noticed that the sum of all the sys_PageTime variables is not exactly equal to sys_ElapsedTime.
Another observation: The value label of sys_ElapsedTime says it's in seconds while sys_PageTime says it's in milliseconds. I doubt that(or I'm misinterpreting it)!!
My question: What information do sys_ElapsedTime and sys_PageTime store? Why their sum are unequal? What should I give to my client?

Thanks in advance!
asked Apr 25, 2016 by Niks Bronze (620 points)

1 Answer

+3 votes
My experience says:

Elapsed time computes difference between start time and end time which includes page load time, network delay, stop & resume etc while sys_pagetime only stores time on that page.

Also, if a respondent comes back to same page two times then both visits of pages are summed up.
answered Apr 25, 2016 by Saurabh Aggarwal Gold (30,780 points)
You can also add any combination of the the sys_pagetime_* system variables. These record the amount of seconds the respondent spends on a particular page.