The default configuration of SSI Web has a separate cgi-bin directory inside each study root directory. Some web server configurations and ISPs do not allow this. They have a specific location where all CGI scripts must reside in order to execute. The following steps outline how to make SSI Web work with this alternate configuration:
Upload all of the SSI Web Perl files (*.pl) to the location where they have permission to execute (the "common cgi-bin").
In the authoring interface of SSI Web, go to Compose | Survey Settings | Server Settings. Modify the default paths to account for the new location of the Perl scripts. The following list describes the Server Directory Paths that need to be modified:
- Administrative Directory: Path from the Perl scripts to the admin directory.
- CGI Scripts Directory: Path from STUDYNAMElogn.htm to the Perl scripts.
- Data Directory: Path from the Perl scripts to the data directory.
- Relative Path from CGI Scripts to Graphics: Path from the Perl scripts to the graphics directory.
- Relative Path from logn.htm to Graphics: Path from STUDYNAMElogn.htm to the graphics directory.
These changes are stored in the STUDYNAMEpath.cgi, STUDYNAMElogn.htm, and STUDYNAMEadmn.htm files. The notation "../" means go up one directory.
For example, given the directory structure:
\cgi-bin ciwweb.pl admin.pl (etc.) \htdocs \study1 \admin \data \graphics STUDYNAMElogn.htm STUDYNAMEadmn.htm
The alternate paths are:
- Administrative Directory: ../htdocs/study1/admin/
- CGI Scripts Directory: ../../cgi-bin/
- Data Directory: ../htdocs/study1/data/
- Relative Path from CGI Scripts to Graphics: ../htdocs/study1/graphics/
- Relative Path from logn.htm to Graphics: graphics/
Remove STUDYNAMEpath.cgi from the admin directory. Upload the STUDYNAMEpath.cgi, with the modified path information, to the "common cgi-bin" directory next to the Perl scripts.